Saturday, February 5, 2011

2011.02.05 PC Modding. Made in the kitchen.

This is my third chassis which I started to build several years ago. And still not finished yet. I wanted to build something special, some kind of mine view of the PC gaming case. Not usual but not very expressive too. But I was limited in all things like metal, parts, fans, screws and etc. It's just impossible to buy modding parts here in this God forsaken country, so I had to make it from the parts which I got. The motherboard frame was cuted from the old m-ATX case, which I found out in the garbage. This old style case was made from good thick steel and it was dropped with the other used PC parts, so I got it for free. The aluminum alloy sheets I ordered from one workshop for the very cheap price. The corners and tubes from aluminum alloy too where purchased, some other parts machined by my friends. The screws and different nuts are not for modding, but those are only the parts which I could find. No special tools where used, 2 saws to cut metal, one electric saw, ordinary drill machine, 3 files for the metal, nothing special in one word.



The case has two levels, the lower compartment is for main power supply, hard drives and for the optical drives may be. The upper compartment is for m-ATX motherboard with 2 PCI-e slots for powerfull graphic cards with the length up to 35 cm and for additional power supplies in 5.25" form factor. Such as Fortron Booster X3/X5 or the same from other vendors (Thermaltake made such PSU for graphics with 450W power output). There are 2 5.25" bays in the lower level and 4 in the upper level. I decided to make my own fan control for all 10 fans. 4 fans of 92x92x25 mm are located on the sides for intake, 1 such fan is installed on the rear frame and 4 120x120x25 mm fans are on the top to cool hot CPU and graphics cards. All fans are with PWM controll and are made by Nexus. All of them can operate from 6,5V but are without LEDs. The holes for the LEDs are made, so I can add any color for the lightning later. Which color to use green or cold blue I don't decided yet.



I would like to make some cuts in the side panel, but... I have no ideas what to do, what to cut and which drawings to make. Future will show probably...


The rear panel with motherboard frame is fully removable and with mounted PSU on it in the lower part. I just installed Fortron Storm II 500W for testing. The small 60x60x25 mm fan is located near CPU cooler to add more air flow in this area. Nexus 92x92x25 mm fan near the PSU is for cooling 2 HDD cage which will be installed near PSU (not made for the current moment). I just plan to make it. I wanted to construct the rear panel so that to pull out all basic parts such as motherboard with SVGA cards, HDDs and PSU together. Very heavy thing, but I specially made it very strong have in mind the weights of the parts themselves.



All the panels and  the corners are 2 mm thick, the tubes used for the arms are 1,5 mm and vertical stands are 5 mm thick made from hard aluminum alloy.




The front handles I decided to remove but they are on the place on this photo.
So, I don't know what to add more... Just This Is It. Not finished and in a permanent building stage. And it's very heavy. Full Metal Jacket for heavy games. No plastic, only aluminum. Crysis, Bioshock, Dead Space, Halo, BorderLands, F.E.A.R. and other shooters are welcome :)



No comments:

Post a Comment