Wednesday, January 24, 2018

2018.01.24. New old project mod of external drive.

Some time ago started to make external hard drive case in Steampunk style. I have an old 2.5" drive made by IBM with IDE interface, which doesn't function. So it is very comfortable to use it as example making new case without the drive.
It will help me to build the case I want to. The new drive will be purchased later. And the basic part of the case was build already, so I started to search some external model for my purposes.
I even decided to use 2.5" form factor drawings thought it will good to have all drive's dimensions and mounting holes under the arm.
It differs from modern SATA drives sure but the differences are not so big. And... next was case itself.
Made from 1 mm thick copper with brass threaded supports. Simple design which I can make without something complex tools use. All parts will be soldered together except of the top and the back plate.

That's all for the old pictures, I didn't take more then, just jump directly to finished case with some exterior on the top.
But for the first, several words about the device which I used making my new full metal case. I like some products from ADATA, they are pretty cheap and of good quality enough, with 36 months of warranty. Nice thing. Then it's always interesting to get to know which drive is inside, cause you never know what is out there.
Well, what's here inside? There is Toshiba 1 TB 7 mm thickness light disk drive. Very nice, cause I expected to find out 9 mm thickness drive out there.
Open it (warranty goes to hell :-))) but I need the drive and the controller only. BTW, it's cheap 50 euro, that's good for me.
A-aaand... To say nothing about all these walls, top, sides, back plate making and etc., I have...
Such full copper jacket Steampuk case with 1 TB of storage space. Now I can store my movies, music and videos with my lovely Tay and Chan!
Micro-USB 3.0 jack, blue activity LED on the top near the jack, top cover is removable, nothing special.
I begun this build it as a gift for my friend. But. I don't know for now. I fear she doesn't want to get something from me. I... thought it would be nice gift on her 25-th anniversary... Planned to make redwood box for it... Well, it works, it finished. That's it.

More pictures will be in the gallery on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment