Thursday, March 1, 2018

2018.03.01. GTS or Long Kiss GoodNight. It started.

Started new project, if I can name it in such manner. Let it be so strange, let it recall me this name as Long Kiss GoodNight. No, it hasn't any connection with known movie, sure, it's my bugs in my head :-))) I will work on it... hm... I don't know how long it will last for now. But really hope it will be done and will be send to. And want to make it very much. It's a bit unusual for me, so I will make everything very patiently, as much as I can. It's my first try, as always, sure, to create this pretty thing and I hope she likes it. Oh, yea-aah, there is she, how you can survive without it? But she is far away from me. Moreover, very far away and I'm not sure she will accept my modest try. But I will try, even if she will not want to get it. Such I am. I should try in any way. I need to make it, it's strange I know but... I really want to do it.

Well, what it will be? It's not a ordinary flash drive in Steampunk style, it's more complex (for me), it will be SSD drive in custom jacket. In full metal jacket from copper with some brass elements as exterior details. It will be personalised as a gift. I don't know anything about her tastes, so I have a bit of risk she can not like it but I have a small hope she will love it. Oh, thus my doubts. OK, then next. There will be wooden box for storing the device made from redwood. I got some piece of some sort of redwood, don't know which, not so good quality but I have only that. So I decided to use it as box material.

First of all, few words about SSD. Purchased Transcend TS-C80S USB 3.1 external case kit for M.2 SATA-3 flash modules.
Pretty nice kit for making what you personally need exactly. You can choose what M.2 module you want to install. I plan to install 512GB ADATA SU800 SATA-3 flash in it. Would like to have 1TB but it costs too much, I don't have so much money for it.
Flash module case is made from aluminum alloy, the quality is such good that I even thought I can use it for my project engraving the painting on it. It's like an alternate option.
Well, I have it, then need to buy one more cable, cause there is a short cable included which is good to use with notebook, but if she will wish to connect it to iMac for example, then it length will be not enough. 1-0.75 m will good to do it. And I still need to check it work on several Apple computers to ensure it works properly on them. It works on PCs with no problems, I'm sure, but om Macs - it still a question for me. What I will do if it doesn't?... I don't know. Will try to ask Transcend technical support on this matter. I still hope it works on Macs with USB 3.0 ports. Direct decision is to go to any Aplle shop and to check this. I will do it as soon as I get flash module.
It's very thin - 7.5 mm only, thus will be the real challenge for me to make something like that in the same thin. And holding screws too. I love such difficulties - always have to use your brain to make the goodies you want to.

Now to the case box. Started to do it, to have in mind how much different parts will be on it. Decided to make magnetic latches instead of usual. Will try it. The wooden plates are thin - 6 mm only, so it will be difficult to build...
And it will be crazy cool if I will make it in a way I minded it. But there is a lot of thing I should do. That's all for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment